Search This Blog:

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shay Given joins Aston Villa

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish has made his first signing as Villa boss after the club confirmed the arrival of Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given on a five year contract.

The 35-year-old Republic of Ireland international completed a medical at Villa Park over the weekend before finalising his move on Monday evening for an undisclosed fee.

Given joined City in 2009 but found himself play second fiddle behind Joe Hart last season, and the lure of first team football was something that attracted him to the Midlands.

"Aston Villa is a huge football club and I'm really excited to be joining," Given told the club’s official website.

"I'm looking forward to training and playing with the players here. They're a good bunch of lads, very talented and I know several of them already which will help.

"Everyone knows that I didn't play enough football last season, so I'm really pleased that I'll be able to put that right here. Hopefully, this move will get me back to where I was before in the Premier League, which is where every player wants to be playing.”

Before moving to City, Given enjoyed the best times of his career at Newcastle United where he made 462 appearances, but rather than be second choice at City he chose the challenge of moving to Villa, and working under their new manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This site is all about latest news and information about transfers,injuries,rumors,etc in football and especially Barclays Premier League
Free Web Counter